Vandhana M-Chari, Ph.D.
- Ph.D., Molecular Neuro-Pathobiology, Drexel University, Philadelphia, PA (Advisor-Dr. Kamel K. Khalili)
- M.Sc., Human Genetics, University of Madras, India
- B.Sc., Zoology, University of Madras, India
- Investigating the significance of microvesicles in cancer, specifically in cancer diagnosis, metastatic progression, drug resistance and therapeutics. Collaboratively investigating thromboembolic disorders associated with inflammation such as sickle cell anemia and cancer-associated thrombosis.
- Muralidharan-Chari V*, Kim J*, Corke D, Mousa SA (2017) Reversal of anticoagulant activities of heparin and its derived low molecular weight heparin by poly-L-lysine: Comparative study with protamine sulfate. Submitted. *equal contribution.
- Muralidharan-Chari V, Kohan HG, Asimakopoulos AG, Sudha T, Sell S, Kannan K, Boroujerdi M, Davis PJ, Mousa SA (2016) Microvesicle removal of anticancer drugs contributes to drug resistance in human pancreatic cancer cells. Oncotarget 7 (31), 50365-50379.
- Muralidharan-Chari V, Mousa SA (2016) Ciraparantag. Heparin neutralizer, Anticoagulant reversal agent. Drugs of the Future 41, 341.
- Muralidharan-Chari V, Kim J, Abuawad A, Naeem M, Cui H, Mousa SA (2016) Thymoquinone modulates blood coagulation in vitro via its effects on inflammatory and coagulation pathways. Int J Mol Sci 17, 474.
- Alshaiban A*, Muralidharan-Chari V*, Nepo A, Mousa SA (2016) Modulation of sickle red blood cell adhesion and its associated changes in biomarkers by sulfated nonanticoagulant heparin derivative. Clin Appl Thromb Hemost 22, 230-238. *equal contribution
- Clancy JW, Sedgwick A, Rosse C, Muralidharan-Chari V, Raposo G, Method M, Chavrier P, D’Souza-Schorey C (2015) Regulated delivery of molecular cargo to invasive tumour-derived microvesicles. Nat Commun 6, 6919.
- Muralidharan-Chari V*, Clancy JW*, Sedgwick A, D’Souza-Schorey C (2010) Microvesicles: mediators of extracellular communication during cancer progression. J Cell Sci 123: 1603-1611. *equal contribution
- Muralidharan-Chari V, Hoover H, Clancy J, Schweitzer J, Suckow MA, et al. (2009) ADP-ribosylation factor 6 regulates tumorigenic and invasive properties in vivo. Cancer Res 69: 2201-2209.
- Muralidharan-Chari V, Clancy J, Plou C, Romao M, Chavrier P, et al. (2009) ARF6-regulated shedding of tumor cell-derived plasma membrane microvesicles. Curr Biol 19: 1875-1885.
- Hoover H, Muralidharan-Chari V, Tague S, D’Souza-Schorey C (2005) Investigating the role of ADP-ribosylation factor 6 in tumor cell invasion and extracellular signal-regulated kinase activation. Methods Enzymol 404: 134-147.
- Tague SE, Muralidharan V, D’Souza-Schorey C (2004) ADP-ribosylation factor 6 regulates tumor cell invasion through the activation of the MEK/ERK signaling pathway. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101: 9671-9676.
- Khalili K, Del Valle L, Muralidharan V, Gault WJ, Darbinian N, et al. (2003) Puralpha is essential for postnatal brain development and developmentally coupled cellular proliferation as revealed by genetic inactivation in the mouse. Mol Cell Biol 23: 6857-6875.
- Muralidharan V, Sweet T, Nadraga Y, Amini S, Khalili K (2001) Regulation of Purα gene transcription: Evidence for autoregulation of Purα promoter, J Cell Physiol 186:406-413.
- Muralidharan V, Cort L, Meier E, Blankenhorn EP, Khalili K (2000) Molecular characterization and chromosomal localization of mouse Purα gene, J Cell Biochem 77:1-5.
- Muralidharan V, Tretiakova A, Steplewski A, Haas S, Amini S, Johnson E, Khalili K (1997) Evidence for inhibition of MyEF-2 binding to MBP promoter by MEF-1/Pur alpha, J Cell Biochem 66:524-531.
- Chang F, Gallia GL, Muralidharan V, Chen NN, Zoltick P, Johnson E, Khalili K (1996) Evidence that replication of human neurotropic JC virus DNA in glial cells is regulated by the sequence-specific single-stranded DNA-binding protein Pur alpha, J Virology 70:4150-4156.
- Mousa SA, Muralidharn-Chari V, Davis PJ (2016) Interface between Thrombosis, Inflammation and Angiogenesis in Cancer Progression. In: Anti-Angiogenesis Strategies in Cancer Therapies, Shaker.A.Mousa and Paul.J.Davis, eds. (Elsevier).
Selected Oral Presentations
- Microparticles Facilitate Chemoresistance in Drug-resistant Cancer Cells. Annual Research Forum 2015, and 2016, Albany College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences, Albany, NY.
- ARF6: An Emerging Regulator of Tumor Cell Invasion and Metastasis. Invited Seminar 2010, Department of Biotechnology, Indian Institute of Technology, Chennai, India.
- ARF6-regulated Shedding of Plasma Membrane-derived Microvesicles Facilitates Cell-Matrix Interactions and Matrix Degradation. “Cell Matrix Interactions and Signaling” Minisymposium, 2009 Annual Meeting of the American Society for Cell Biology, San Diego, CA.
- ARF6 regulates cell invasion through the activation of the MEK/ERK signaling pathway. Walther Annual Meeting 2004, University of Notre Dame, South Bend, IN (Won award for best post-doctoral presentation).
Selected Abstracts/Poster Presentations
- Kim J*, Muralidharan-Chari V*, Mousa, S. A. Reversal of Anticoagulant Activities of Heparin and its Derived Low Molecular Weight Heparin by Poly-L-Lysine: Comparative Study with Protamine Sulfate. Annual Research Forum 2017, Albany College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences, Albany, NY. *equal contribution.
- Corke D, Kim J, Muralidharan-Chari V, Mousa SA Comparative Anti-Inflammation and Anticoagulation Activity among Heparin Sources. Annual Research Forum 2016, Albany College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences, Albany, NY.
- Kim J, Abuawad A, Muralidharan-Chari V, Mousa SA. Thymoquinone Modulates Blood Coagulation in vitro via its Effects on Coagulation and Inflammatory Pathways. Annual Research Forum 2015, Albany College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences, Albany, NY.
- Abuawad A*, Naeem M*, Eligwe L, Elmetwally A, Cui H, Muralidharan-Chari V, Mousa SA. Anticoagulant Properties of Thymoquinone Extracted from Black Seeds. Annual Research Forum 2014, Albany College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences, Albany, NY. *equal contribution.
- Muralidharan-Chari V, Raposo G, D’Souza-Schorey C 2007, ARF6-regulated release of ectosomes. Molecular Biology of the Cell 22, 4705 (abstract #269).
- Muralidharan-Chari V*, Hoover H*, Suckow M, Schroeder V, Castellino F, Schorey J, D’Souza-Schorey C 2007, ADP-ribosylation factor 6 regulates tumorigenic and metastatic properties in vivo. Molecular Biology of the Cell 22, 4705 (abstract #1874). *equal contribution.
- Crislyn D’Souza-Schorey, James W. Clancy and Vandhana Muralidharan-Chari. US Patent 8,420,334, titled “Method for Detecting Invasive Microvesicles Derived from Tumor Cells.”
- First place in postdoctoral presentation, Walther Annual Meeting, Notre Dame, 2004
- Research Fellowship for Graduate Studies at Drexel (Hahnemann) University, 1996-1999
- Placed within the 5th percentile in selection exam and secured admission to the Ph.D. program at the Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India, 1993
- University Grants Commission Research Fellowship, Government of India, 1993
- Summer Research Grant by Government of India to perform Research at CCMB, Hyderabad, India, 1992
Professional Organization Memberships
- American Society for Cell Biology
- International Society for Extracellular Vesicles
Previous Positions or Appointments
- Research Assistant Professor, Department of Biological Sciences, University of Notre Dame, IN
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Advisor-Dr. Crislyn D’Souza-Schorey, University of Notre Dame, IN
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Advisor- Dr. David Hyde, University of Notre Dame, IN
- Research Technician, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, PA
Back to staff