Sudha Thangirala, Ph.D.
- Ph.D. Genetics/Biology, University of Madras, India
- M.S. Biology, University of Madras, India
- B.S. Biology, University of Madras, India
- Cancer cell culture, human embryonic stem cell research, nanomedicine (in vivo & in vitro analysis), angiogenesis, development of animal models for cancer, detection by in vivo imaging in live mice, confocal microscopy, molecular studies, flow cytometry
- Cardiovascular diseases & in vivo & in vitro models–adult & neonatal cardiac myocyte isolation & culture, surgical microscopy, fluorescent microscopy, ECG
- Screening of genetic mutation for human genetic disorders–molecular studies, gene mapping, DNA sequencing, micro dissection
- Genomic instability of cancer and cell cycle–temperature sensitive suspension cancer cell culture, flow cytometry, TEM, fluorescence microscopy, FISH analysis
- Cytogenetic studies of genetic disorders & genetic counseling–white blood cell culture, microscopy
- Newborn screening, genetic counseling
- Danelisen I, Lou H, Sudha T, Singal PK. Antioxidant vitamins in cardiovascular disease. In: “Antioxidants and Cardiovascular”. Narosa Publishers, New Delhi, India, 1-17, 2003.
- Sudha T, Kaneda S, Nagai Y, Yamao F, Tsuji H, Sameshima M, Matsuda Y, Seno T. Abnormal integrity of molecules associated with cell cycle arrest in a mouse cell mutant of the temperature-sensitive ubiquitine-activating enzyme E1. In “1993 Annual Report of National Institute of Genetics, Japan”, No. 4, p. 27-28, 1993.
- Sudha T, Kaneda S, Nagai Y, Yamao F, Seno T. Pulverization of chromosomal NORs in the mouse cell mutant of temperature-sensitive ubiquitin-activating enzyme with the arrest point at G2 phase of cell-cycle. In “1992 Annual Report of National Institute of Genetics, Japan”, No. 43, p 28-29, 1992.
- Sudha T, Jayam S, Swami S, Ramachandran R. Cytogenetic studies in Down’s syndrome: A report from Down’s Research society, Madras. In “Prevention & Management of Down’s syndrome”. Eds. Usha Rani P, Reddy PP, Sujatha M, pp 26-30, 1991.
Invited Review Articles
- Kumar D, Sudha T, Singal PK. Can apoptosis explain heart failure? Kuwait Medical Journal 35: 86-90, 2003.
- Sudha T, Gopinath PM. An overview of the contribution of chromosomal anomalies to recurrent fetal loss. In “Genetics: Perspectives in Man and Environment”. Eds. Santhya ST, Malathy R, Jayaraman G, pp. 1-4, 1990.
Peer Reviewed Articles
- T Sudha, DJ Bharali, M Yalcin, NH Darwish, M Debreli Coskun, KA Keating, HY Lin, PJ Davis, SA Mousa, Targeted delivery of paclitaxel and doxorubicin to cancer xenografts via the nanoparticle of nano-diamino-tetrac, Int J Nanomedicine, 2017, 12:1305-1315.
- T Sudha, DJ Bharali, M Yalcin, NH Darwish, MD Coskun, KA Keating, HY Lin, PJ Davis, SA Mousa, Targeted delivery of cisplatin to tumor xenografts via the nanoparticle component of nano-diamino-tetrac, Nanomedicine (Lond), 2017, 12:195-205.
- DJ Bharali, T Sudha, H Cui, BM Mian, SA Mousa, Anti-CD24 nano-targeted delivery of docetaxel for the treatment of prostate cancer, Nanomedicine, 2017, 13:263-273.
- M Rajabi, T Sudha, NH Darwish, PJ Davis, SA Mousa, Synthesis of MR-49, a deiodinated analog of tetraiodothyroacetic acid (tetrac), as a novel pro-angiogenesis modulator, Bioorg Med Chem Lett, 2016, 26:4112-4116.
- V Muralidharan-Chari, HG Kohan, AG Asimakopoulos, T Sudha, S Sell, K Kannan, M Boroujerdi, PJ Davis, SA Mousa, Microvesicle removal of anticancer drugs contributes to drug resistance in human pancreatic cancer cells, Oncotarget, 2016, 7:50365-50379.
- NH Darwish, T Sudha, K Godugu, O Elbaz, HA Abdelghaffar, EE Hassan, SA Mousa, Acute myeloid leukemia stem cell markers in prognosis and targeted therapy: Potential impact of BMI-1, TIM-3 and CLL-1, Oncotarget, 2016, 7:57811-57820.
- W Hariri, T Sudha, DJ Bharali, H Cui, SA Mousa, Nano-targeted delivery of toremifene, an estrogen receptor-α blocker in prostate cancer, Pharm Res, 2015, 32:2764-2774.
- PJ Davis, T Sudha, HY Lin, SA Mousa, Thyroid hormone, hormone analogs, and angiogenesis, Compr Physiol, 2015, 6:353-362.
- PJ Davis, S Incerpi, HY Lin, HY Tang, T Sudha, SA Mousa, Thyroid hormone and P-glycoprotein in tumor cells, Biomed Res Int, 2015, 2015:168427.
- R Alyahya, T Sudha, M Racz, SC Stain, SA Mousa, Anti-metastasis efficacy and safety of non-anticoagulant heparin derivative versus low molecular weight heparin in surgical pancreatic cancer models, Int J Oncol, 2015, 46:1225-1231.
- T Sudha, M Yalcin, HY Lin, AM Elmetwally, T Nazeer, T Arumugam, P Phillips, SA Mousa, Suppression of pancreatic cancer by sulfated non-anticoagulant low molecular weight heparin, Cancer Lett, 2014, 350:25-33.
- PJ Davis, HY Lin, T Sudha, M Yalcin, HY Tang, A Hercbergs, JT Leith, MK Luidens, O Ashur-Fabian, S Incerpi, SA Mousa, Nanotetrac targets integrin αvβ3 on tumor cells to disorder cell defense pathways and block angiogenesis, Onco Targets Ther, 2014, 7:1619-1624.
- M Yalcin, HY Lin, T Sudha, DJ Bharali, R Meng, HY Tang, FB Davis, SC Stain, PJ Davis, SA Mousa, Response of human pancreatic cancer cell xenografts to tetraiodothyroacetic acid nanoparticles, Horm Cancer, 2013, 4:176-185.
- A Rebbaa, G Patil, M Yalcin, T Sudha, SA Mousa, OT-404, multi-targeted anti-cancer agent affecting tumor proliferation, chemo-resistance, and angiogenesis, Cancer Lett, 2013, 332:55-62.
- T Sudha, P Phillips, C Kanaan, RJ Linhardt, L Borsig, SA Mousa, Inhibitory effect of non-anticoagulant heparin (S-NACH) on pancreatic cancer cell adhesion and metastasis in human umbilical cord vessel segment and in mouse model, Clin Exp Metastasis, 2012, 29:431-439.
- MS Jayaraman, DJ Bharali, T Sudha, SA Mousa, Nano chitosan peptide as a potential therapeutic carrier for retinal delivery to treat age-related macular degeneration, Mol Vis, 2012, 18:2300-2308.
- SA Mousa, T Sudha, E Dyskin, U Dier, C Gallati, C Hanko, SV Chittur, A Rebbaa, Stress resistant human embryonic stem cells as a potential source for the identification of novel cancer stem cell markers, Cancer Lett, 2010, 289:208-216.
- A Rebbaa, F Chu, T Sudha, C Gallati, U Dier, E Dyskin, M Yalcin, C Bianchini, O Shaker, SA Mousa, The anti-angiogenic activity of NSITC, a specific cathepsin L inhibitor, Anticancer Res, 2009, 29:4473-4481.
- SA Mousa, C Gallati, T Simone, E Dier, M Yalcin, E Dyskin, S Thangirala, C Hanko, A Rebbaa, Dual targeting of the antagonistic pathways mediated by Sirt1 and TXNIP as a putative approach to enhance the efficacy of anti-aging interventions, Aging (Albany NY), 2009, 1:412-424.
- X Zheng, F Chu, BL Mirkin, T Sudha, SA Mousa, A Rebbaa, Role of the proteolytic hierarchy between cathepsin L, cathepsin D and caspase-3 in regulation of cellular susceptibility to apoptosis and autophagy, Biochim Biophys Acta, 2008, 1783:2294-2300.
- P Frosk, T Weiler, E Nylen, T Sudha, CR Greenberg, K Morgan, TM Fujiwara, K Wrogemann, Limb-girdle muscular dystrophy type 2H associated with mutation in TRIM32, a putative E3-ubiquitin–ligase gene, Am J Hum Genet, 2002, 70:663-672.
- T Sudha, AJ Dawson, AN Prasad, D Konkin, GW de Groot, C Prasad, De novo interstitial long arm deletion of chromosome 3 with facial dysmorphism, Dandy-Walker variant malformation and hydrocephalus, Clin Dysmorphol, 2001, 10:193-196.
- S Kharbanda, S Saxena, K Yoshida, P Pandey, M Kaneki, Q Wang, K Cheng, YN Chen, A Campbell, T Sudha, ZM Yuan, J Narula, R Weichselbaum, C Nalin, D Kufe, Translocation of SAPK/JNK to mitochondria and interaction with Bcl-xL in response to DNA damage, J Biol Chem, 2000, 275:322-327.
- T Sudha, H Tsuji, M Sameshima, Y Matsuda, S Kaneda, Y Nagai, F Yamao, T Seno, Abnormal integrity of the nucleolus associated with cell cycle arrest owing to the temperature-sensitive ubiquitin-activating enzyme E1, Chromosome Res, 1995, 3:115-123.
- T Sudha, S Jayam, Pericentric inversion in homologues of chromosome 9, Jpn J Hum Genet, 1993, 38:341-343.
- T Sudha, A Selvakumar, C Damodaran, PM Gopinath, Parental sharing of human leucocyte antigens associated with reproductive fetal loss. J Obstet Gynecol India, 1993, 43:341-343.
- T Sudha, N Chandra, Gopinath PM. Chromosomal anomalies associated with reproductive loss. J Reproductive Endocrinology 3: 85-94, 1991
- Sudha T, Gopinath PM. Polymorphism of chromosomes and repeated fetal loss. Indian J Obstet Gynecol, 1991, 4:123-135.
- T Sudha, PM Gopinath. Homologous Robertsonian translocation (21q21q) and abortions. Hum Genet, 1990, 8:253-
- T Sudha, S Jayam, R Ramachandran. The association of t (13q, 14q) with Down’s syndrome and its inheritance. Indian J Pediatr, 1990, 57:249-52.
- T Sudha, PM Gopinath. Translocation (14;21)(q11;q22) in a woman with history of abortions and a child with Down’s syndrome. Ann Genet, 1990, 33:162-4.
Honors and Awards
- Best poster award, International Society for Heart Research Symposium, Chandigarh, India
- The identification of new gene for limb-girdle-muscular dystrophy was published in news media (TV, newspaper)
- Barbara Graham Endowment Research Funding, Guelph Ontario Veterinary College, Canada
- Visiting Scientist, Ministry of Education, Science and Culture of Japan
- Research Fellowship, Indian Council of Medical Research, New Delhi, India
- University rank holder, University of Madras, India
- First class distinction, University of Madras, India
Previous Positions or Appointments
- Research Manager, Vascular Vision Pharmaceuticals Co, Rensselaer, NY
- Research Manager, Biotechnology, Pharmaceutical Research Institute at Albany College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences, Rensselaer, NY
- Biologist/Geneticist, Cytopia Inc., Rensselaer, NY
- Institute of Cardiovascular Sciences St. Boniface General Hospital Research Centre, Winnipeg, Canada
- Research Associate, Department of Biochemistry and Medical Genetics, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Canada
- Post-doctoral Fellow, Department of Biomedical Sciences, University of Guelph, Veterinary College, Ontario, Canada
- Visiting Scientist, National Institute of Genetics, Mishima, Shizuoka ken, Japan
- Geneticist, Down Research Society, Vijaya Hospital, Madras, India
- Research Fellow, Indian Council of Medical Research Dept Genetics, University of Madras, India
Back to staff